Post-baccalaureate certification in elementary education or certification in a subject area for secondary education is designed for a candidate who currently possesses a bachelor’s degree and would like to be certified to teach in public schools.
Certification is offered for Early Childhood PreK-4 and Special Education PreK-8 or in Secondary Education. The candidate’s undergraduate degree does not need to be in education.
Admission into this certification program is based upon a review by the post-baccalaureate program coordinator in the School of Education. Requirements to be considered for admission:
- Completed application and application fee (if applicable);
- Interview with the post-baccalaureate program coordinator of the School of Education;
- Essay describing the rationale to enter the teaching profession;
- 3.0 or higher GPA in the undergraduate degree program;
- Two letters of reference addressing the candidate’s potential as a teacher;
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges or universities attended.
An admission decision will be made after a personal interview and the post-baccalaureate certification application, $35 non-refundable application fee (if applicable), and other required documents are received by the School of Education office.
Students desiring to be certified in secondary teaching in areas of certification (Biology, Chemistry, English, French, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies, or Spanish) will have to complete all requirements for the major as determined by a program review of their previous work in the particular subject area as well as complete all required education courses for certification.
Successful candidates will be recommended for certification after successful completion of all required coursework and other program requirements, successful completion of required Praxis Series Examinations, and submission of all required health and safety clearances for working in schools.
Specific questions may be addressed to the chair of the School of Education by calling (724) 946-7283 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.